Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Male Bonding

I took the boys camping back in September, and Karee finally forced me to slap together a posting about it (see her Halloween post below for more current happenings). We went to a YMCA camp at Possum Kingdom Lake, which was very nice (and also the subject of one of my favorite Toadies songs from the mid-90s).

Carter became a true Texan, having shot a rifle before he turned 4. The 15-yr old camp counselor was ready to hand each of us our own gun, but I promised Karee no one would get killed, so I helped Carter shoot. Cole wasn't a big fan of the noise.


After shooting, the boys did some horse-back riding, archery and swimming.


Later, we took a boat ride out to Devil Island for a little hiking. We came across what we thought was a dead tarantula, which was bad enough, but when we told Ranger Jim, he informed us that it was actually the shedded exoskeleton of a still-living tarantula. He was a little too excited about letting us know that they were all over the place down in those parts.

At the end of a long, tiring day, the boys chilled with some fishing. I'm not sure there were even fish near the dock, but the boys were thrilled for their first fishing excursion, and since we used minnows, they could always pull up the line to see a dangling little fish...





1 comment:

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

How fun! I have never shot a rifle, so I guess even though born and raised there I am not a true Texan. I am so scared of guns. Glad you guys had a great time.