Sunday, May 31, 2009

Spirit Horse




Last March we received the good news that Cole's name had finally come up on the waiting list at a place called Spirit Horse.  Spirit Horse provides Hippotherapy to children of all disabilities but especially that of autism, free of charge. Which is amazingly generous compared to all of the pricey  therapies that are out there.  After receiving hippotherapy at SpiritHorse many children increase in core strength and motor skills as well as that of increased confidence and self-esteem.  They have had many children say their first words in this environment.

So it is a wonderful place, and Cole has enjoyed his time with his horse Eeyore.  Cole leads Eeyore to his stall, brushes him, gets out his blanket, saddle, girth, briddle and helmet and helps in all the duties of getting Eeyore ready to ride.  Every time Cole goes behind Eeyore he puts his hand up on his hind quarters and says "comin' round Eeyore".  Cole has learned to tell Eeyore to "walk on", "trot" (which is his favorite) and "whoah".
We are so thankful for this experience that has been made possible for Cole.  It makes you realize how many wonderful people there are out there.  Cole has led us to many of those people and we are so thankful.










5 comments:

Auntie Lolo said...

What an amazing program!! I love that the horse is named Eeyore. He does look like an Eeyore. :)

Kim said...

That is so awesome! I didn't know he was involved with that program. Had I told you about my sister's friend's little girl that does the horse therapy up in Seattle. I'm glad he enjoys that and glad there is a program there he can enjoy

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

How awesome Karee, what a great experience for Cole.

Molly said...

That's so amazing! I hope Cole is having a wonderful, wonderful time.

Crystal, Troy, and Landon said...

What a wonderful program! I'm glad he is doing so well, you sure have cute boys. I love the change to your h!ouse too